AGGRESSIVE CRIMINAL DEFENSE
We are among the most aggressive West Michigan criminal defense firms, serving clients as criminal defense attorneys in Muskegon, Allegan, Ottawa, Oceana, Newaygo, Kent, Mason, and Manistee counties. When it comes to your rights, we take the Constitution seriously and fight to defend YOU in state and federal courts.
FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE
Your first line of defense in the case now building against you is YOU.
- Do not resist police.
- Do not insult or fight officers.
- Do not make any statements, other than: Call my lawyer, Mike Walsh in Muskegon.
The “system” starts its relentless movement against you at your arrest. Don’t make it worse by resisting, fleeing, making statements, or in any way opposing police.
Your defense starts with you:
- Talk to no one but your attorney.
- Be polite to police, but decline all statements and insist on meeting with your attorney.
- Anything you say can – and will – be used against you in a court of law.
STEPS OF PROSECUTION
No matter if you’re in Muskegon, Manistee, Grand Rapids, Ottawa County, Big Rapids, or Marquette, your case officially starts at arraignment in District Court.
- ARRAIGNMENT – The first step of prosecution. The court reads the charge(s) against you and sets or declines bond/bail. If you have not yet seen an attorney, ALWAYS enter a plea of NOT GUILTY and ask the judge to let you consult an attorney – or to call MIKE WALSH, LAWYER in Muskegon.
- Hearing: Misdemeanors (low-level) crimes are processed first through a Preliminary Hearing in District Court where prosecutors and defense attorneys attempt to work out the case or set it for trial.
- Examination: Felony (higher-level) crimes are processed through a District Court probable cause hearing. The judge must determine two things:
- Was there probably a crime?
- Did YOU probably commit it?
- If not, the case is dismissed. If so, it’s “bound over” to Circuit Court for trial. For misdemeanor cases, those not resolved go to trial in district court.